Daniel Woodward Elementary School (1961- ) began as an annex to Thomas Kidd Elementary in 1961 in order to serve the developing Shellmont subdivision. By 1967, it had become a full-fledged elementary school.
Daniel Woodward came to Lulu Island from Ontario in 1874 and established a residence at the south end of No. 5 Road, which became known as Woodward’s Landing. He enjoyed hunting and trapping and built a cabin in the vicinity. He encouraged settlement in this region and in 1879 signed the petition for the incorporation of Sea Island and Lulu Island into the Municipality of Richmond. He also served as School Trustee, along with Thomas Kidd and James Whiteside, for the English School District.