Woodward PAC Meeting Minutes:
Date: September 18, 2017 Called to order at 6:35pm
Scott Plumb, Lorna Ko, Farah Dhaliwal, Gina Mahil, Melody Lam, Bonnie Tan,
Eric Dennis, Terry Tan, Kathleen Wong, Pooja Kalsi
1. New hires for the school year include: Mrs. N. Lam (Div 6, Kindergarten); Mr S. Pooni (Div 1, Grade 6/7); Mrs D. Wilms (Educational Assistant).
2. Still in the process of hiring 1 Educational Assistant and 0.2FTE Resource ELL teacher
3. School enrollment currently at 129 students. Change in district classroom sizes allowable are:
Previous maximum students Current maximum students
Grades 4-7 30 28
Grades 1-3 24 22
Kindergarten 22 20
4. Shortage in substitute teachers (TOCs) forcast for the school district.
5. Teacher enhancement requests:
a) Mrs Sato: $500 for author visit. Previously approved.
b) Mrs Leung: Increase of field trip subsidy from $25 to $30. Motioned by Eric. 2nd by Lorna. All in favor. Motion passed.
c) Mrs. Fenn: 3 new garden beds/$300 each=$900
Coniferous garden: $1400
Natural play zone: $500
Total request of $2800. Tabled for review at October meeting.
6. Movie license (non-streaming as per teacher preference) $410. Motioned by Gina. 2nd by Eric. All approved by Executives motion.
7. Pro-D on Sept 25.
8. Sep 28, Terry Fox run in afternoon
9. Oct 16-19, Outdoor Ed-Grades 6/7 at Camp Jubilee. Teachers attending still to be determined.
10. Nov 2, The White Hatter Speaker: Will consist of 3 presentations: 90 min for Gr4-5; 2hr for Gr6-7; and parent evening presentation. Cost: $2195 + GST. All welcome.
11. Currently in process of booking Michael Bortolotto for Pink Shirt Anti-bullying Day on Feb 28/18
PAC Chair Report:
1. 16’ Inflatable Movie Screen approved for up to $600 by Executives motion.
2. Gaming license to be purchased to allow for Christmas Raffle and Spring Fair Raffles.
3. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook accounts created for Woodward School by PAC.
4. Ideas to increase Woodward School awareness :
Direct Mail of events to neighborhood houses
Lawn signs for school events such as movie night, spring fair
5. Proposed entrepreneur night with students creating and selling their own products.
6. Apr 15-21/18 is National Volunteer Week. Promotion to increase PAC volunteers with teacher involvement by mention in agenda or parent-teacher conferences.
1. Outstanding Banners receipt received for $386.23
2. Outdoor Education amount ($500) paid by PAC same since 2008. Proposed increase. Tabled to determine if changes in camp fees warrant increase.
3. Concession float to be increased for $75 to $100.
1. Woodward Spirit T-shirts still available. To sell remainder at cost of $9
2. Food Safe needed by concession volunteers. School District offering to pay for one and PAC to pay for second
3. Sunshade canopy purchased for $223.99. Previously approved; arrived at school.
1. Halloween event on Fri Oct 27/17: Proposing movie night with food and costume contest from 5-6 and movie following around 6:30pm. Will look into food and snacks being provided by outside sources such as M&M Meats or Boston Pizza.
2. Anti-bullying T-shirts to be ordered for Feb 28/18 Anti-Bullying Rally
PAC meeting dates set for Nov 27/18, Jan 29/18, Feb 26/18, Apr 16/18 and AGM May 28/18
Meeting adjourned: 8:35pm
Next meeting: Monday Oct 23, 2017