Woodward PAC Meeting Minutes:
Date: October 23, 2017 Called to order at 6:32pm
Scott Plumb, Lorna Ko, Farah Dhaliwal, Gina Mahil, Melody Lam, Bonnie Tan, Eric Dennis, Kathleen Wong, Adam McDonald, Sundeep Saran, Pooja Kalsi
Trustee Ken Hamaguchi - liaison between school and school board
Schools currently have a staffing shortage. Remedies being implemented which include principals and resource teachers stepping in to fill the void as hiring continues.
Positions not filled this year will still be filled next year.
If Richmond School District is in a deficit next year, funding cuts will come from CUPE contract (Administrative/Secretarial Pool etc)
Question was raised about money saved from teachers positions that are not filled this year: Ken thinks that the government will only provide money for actual teachers hired but will confirm answer at later date.
1. Student Teachers, Mr Madrigal in Mr Lim and Mr Byun in Mr Pooni classrooms.
2. Co-ed Volleyball season started today. Tournament on Nov 15.
3. FSA for Gr 4 & 7 in October and early November
4. Oct 16-19, Outdoor Ed-Grades 6/7 at Camp Jubilee. Mr. Pooni, Mrs. Leung and Ms. Fenn attended.
5. Pink Shirts for Anti-Bullying. Student Council along with Mr Imagawa and Mr Hamaura have a mock up ready to be sent to printers. Cost per shirt: $8.71 child/$9.34 adult. Will be selling for $5. School to subsidize.
PAC Chair Report:
1. 16’ Inflatable Movie Screen arrived. Although screen was advertised as 16ft, usable screen space is only 12ft. Will be used at Halloween Boovie Night.
2. Dec 4/17 2:45pm-3:15pm: PAC will have an information meeting afterschool in library to give a condensed review of the Nov 27 PAC meeting
1. 2017-2018 BC Gaming Grant in the amount of $2740 received from Gaming Branch.
2. Agendas ($619.36) and sun canopy (223.99) paid for.
1. Mrs Fenn: 3 new garden beds/$300 each=$900
Coniferous garden: $1400
Natural play zone: $500 Total request of $2800.
PAC to wait on proceeds from Earth Club clothing drive before approving specific amount.
2. Halloween Event: Emoji Movie. M&M catering. In the future, M&M requires minimum 200 orders.
1. Nov 2, The White Hatter Speaker: Will consist of 3 presentations: 1-2:30pm for Gr4-5; 10am-12noon for Gr6-7; and 6:30-8:30pm parent evening presentation. All welcome to parent presentation. Scott to open presentation to Kidd and Kingswood parents. Cost: $2195 + GST.
2. Fundraising: Spring Fair
Previous years have had a lack of volunteers and talks are continuing about whether to skip spring fair this year or scale back or change to movie night.
Pros: Less volunteers needed
Cons: Lose prize contacts by skipping year
Less PAC money available for future years
Apr 15-21/18 National Volunteer Week: proposal for stickers or pins to be handed out to students/parents.
Meeting adjourned: 8:03pm
Next meeting: Monday Nov 27, 2017 6:30pm